Re: inotify on /dev/vcsa?

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon Jul 20 2009 - 19:50:29 EST

> An ioctl could be devised to wait for updates, but I was wondering
> if there could be a way to just use inotify for that. However,
> drivers/char/vc_screen.c would have to collect the list of opened files
> in order to notify all of them (processes may even have opened another
> node with same devno as /dev/vcsa), which is not really pretty, and
> actually maybe some other device drivers would want to achieve the same
> kind of thing, so I was wondering whether that could fit into another
> place like the generic device infrastructure?

I would have thought poll() would have been cleaner. Or perhaps extending
the VT event interface I added to the vt drivers in the current patches
pending for 2.6.32 - poll support would probably be a bit lighter as
you'd just need to do something like

event_count++;
wake_up(&vcsa_event_wait);

and check for a count change