Re: Linux 2.6.27.27

From: Krzysztof Oledzki
Date: Tue Jul 21 2009 - 02:41:45 EST

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009, Marc Dionne wrote:

Hmm. This sounds more like the binutils bug that people had. Sounds like
an assembler bug if the *.o file ends up being empty or at some fixed
size. If it was cc1 that fails, I'd expect to not see an *.o file at all,
since it didn't generate good assembly.

In fact, your behavior sounds like the thing that produces the *.o files
core-dumped or died for other reasons, and had a 64kB buffer that either
got flushed or not. That would explain the "zero or exactly 64kB" size.

It could be ccache too, of course.

Actually in my case it turns out that it is ccache after all - if I remove it
from the picture everything is fine. If I re-enable it, even with a clean
cache, I get the problem.

It might just be a coincidence that it's triggered by the -fwrapv change.

Ok, so this is getting ridiculous. Do we have _three_ different kernel
issues going on at the same time, all subtly related to tools issues
rather than the kernel source tree itself?

That's just completely bizarre.

So right now we have:

- Krzysztof Oledzki: the only one who so far has really pinpointed it to
the -fwrapv change itself.

It would be good to really double-check that this is not about ccache,
since Marc apparently gets a good kernel without ccache, and -fwrapv
seems to be involved.

There is no ccache configured in my systems and the same problem appears on a different servers (both i386 and x86-64). However, the configs are very similar and the hardware is nearly identical.

I'm pretty sure the only different between bootable and unbootable kernel is that fwrapv vs strict-overflow change.

Best regards,

Krzysztof Olędzki