Re: mmap_min_addr and your local LSM (ok, just SELinux)

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Tue Jul 21 2009 - 07:33:02 EST

On Tuesday 21 July 2009, Kyle McMartin wrote:

> Why do we not add a personality flag for this? With that, at least you
> could require a harmless setuid wrapper for wine that just set the
> personality bits and dropped root.

I thought the MMAP_PAGE_ZERO personality bit was exactly what Brad
was using in his demonstration. We don't need to define a new bit,
just use the one that's there ;-).

Then again, setting personality flags does not require root permissions
normally, so it's not an extremely strong protection, unless you also
start requiring CAP_SYS_RAWIO for setting MMAP_PAGE_ZERO.

Arnd <><