Re: Do cpu-endian MMIO accessors exist?

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Tue Jul 21 2009 - 17:33:47 EST

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 11:15:49PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> The best solution would be if you could find a way to set
> the hardware into little-endian mode on all architectures.
> >From the description, it sounds like the hardware should allow that.

Why would you want to do that? That just means a useless byteswap.
We really should have a generic native-endian MMIO-access API as there
is quite a bit of hardware with features like that, and currently we
have a miriad of hacks using __raw_* and manual barriers, the ppc
specific accessors and god knows what.