Re: GART_IOMMU without AGP

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Jul 22 2009 - 18:16:54 EST

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 17:37:46 -0400
Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 07:26:49PM +0400, Pavel Vasilyev wrote:
> > In the kernel configuration, if I choose x86_64 and PCI, then choose the item
> > "Garth IOMMU support", which, in turn, chooses not to switch off, support for
> > AGP. But many IOMMU system does not have AGP bus.
>
> The lack of AGP slots doesn't mean a lack of AGP bus.
> It's part of the K8 on-CPU northbridge.

And the user is selecting CONFIG_AGP to select AGP devices rather than to
demonstrate their deep guru grade knowledge of K8 northbridges. Not only
that but CONFIG_AGP controls the display of AGP video card options so it
is a selection for offered devices not really an internal detail.

So I think Pavel is right here.