Re: Regression impacts ServeRAID II on IBM xSeries 5500

From: David Newall
Date: Fri Jul 24 2009 - 11:29:18 EST

FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> Sorry for the delay,

No problem. I appreciate your time.

> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 16:30:00 +0930
> David Newall <davidn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> According to "git bisect," your patch
>> 10db10d144c0248f285242f79daf6b9de6b00a62 is the first bad commit before
>> a regression which affects my ServeRAID II controller. I get segfault
>> running ipssend, which is the program used to interrogate and configure
>> the SCSI RAID controller.
>>
>> ipssend[5949]: segfault at 20202020 ip b7ece8b1 sp bfce1d1c error 6 in libc-2.9.so[b7e55000+15c000]
>>

> Can I get 'ipssend' source code? I'm not sure what ipssend does (I
> guess, it issues some special commands via sg).

It's provided by IBM with their ServeRAID CD, and not available in
source as far as I can discover. The RAID hardware uses Adaptec chips
and I think ipssend was written by them.

>> My machine and assistance is at your disposal. Rather than guess what
>> information you want: what can I tell you?
>>

> What kernel version do you use, the latest git tree?

I was running Ubuntu's 2.6.28-13-server, but have reverted to their
2.6.27-10-server, that being the latest Ubuntu-provided version on which
ipssend works. The patch which apparently introduced the regression is
for 2.6.27-rc9, which is quite old. The regression was a year ago, and
although I've found quite a few people who have the same problem, I
haven't found any indication of the problem having been previously
reported or bisected, so it's likely the latest version still has the
problem. I am happy to try the latest version of you want.