Re: 2.6.31-rc2: Possible regression in rt61pci driver

From: Chris Clayton
Date: Sun Jul 26 2009 - 17:33:32 EST

Thanks for the reply, Pavel.

2009/7/26 Pavel Roskin <proski@xxxxxxx>:
> On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 20:15 +0100, Chris Clayton wrote:
>
>> One more data point. I wondered whether the freeze would "time out" if
>> I just left the laptop frozen, but my testing shows that it probably
>> does not (or if it does it takes more than 27 minutes to do so.
>
> I suggest that you run it on the text console after "dmesg -n 8", so
> that all kernel messages are seen.
>
> I'm using rt61pci with wireless-testing, and I don't see any freezes.

Do you have CONFIG_MAC80211_DEFAULT_PS enabled? I have just built and
installed -rc4 with this option disabled and it has survived almost 20
minutes so far without a freeze. No previous kernel in the 2.6.31
series has survived more than 5 minutes without freezing, so this
looks promising.

>> I've also tried to bisect again, but, as last time, once I got to the
>> batch of network-related changes that went into -rc1, I get a series
>> of kernels that build but either won't boot or have inoperable
>> wireless networking.
>
> You can use "git bisect skip" to skip those revisions.
>
> You can specify the paths in "git bisect start" so that only changes to
> the interesting places (like drivers/net wireless, net/mac80211 and
> net/wireless) are considered when calculating the next commit.  This
> will probably help you avoid the bad place.

Thanks for those tips. I'll note them in my "useful stuff I might
forget" notebook and then try to find time over the next few weeks to
get to grips with the power of git.

Chris

--
No, Sir; there is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which
so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern or inn - Doctor Samuel