Re: [BUG] set_mempolicy(MPOL_INTERLEAV) cause kernel panic

From: David Rientjes
Date: Mon Jul 27 2009 - 14:01:06 EST

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> This behavior itself is not very bad.
> And all hotplug thing is just a side story of this bugfix.

Right, the original problem that Lee reported doesn't appear to be caused
by hotplug.

> To update nodemask, user's mask should be saved in the policy
> even when the mask is not relative and v.node should be calculated
> again, at event. IIUC, rather than per-policy update by notifer,
> some new implemenation for policy will be necessary.

We don't need additional non-default mempolicy support for MEM_ONLINE.
It would be inappropriate to store the user nodemask and then hot-add new
nodes to mempolicies based on the given node id's when nothing is assumed
of its proximity. It's better left to userspace to update existing
mempolicies to use the newly added memory.