Re: Linux-2.6.31-rc4 - shut the annoying "failed to acquirevblank..."

From: Paul Rolland
Date: Tue Jul 28 2009 - 08:54:20 EST

Hi Frans,

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:44:12 +0200
Frans Pop <elendil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I sent a mail long ago about this message :
> > tux kernel: [drm:drm_wait_vblank] *ERROR* failed to acquire vblank
> > counter, -22 showing up more than 10 times per second, but was told
> > that I had some old userspace apps running... As I was using an old
> > FC8, I forgot about it.
>
> The message does not only show with old applications, it also shows:
> - every time I suspend my notebook
> - every time I start a second X session to log in as a different user
Well, with the so-called "old apps", it's 20 times per second, as long as
the app is running, which really makes it painful, because it causes all
the logs to show off quickly :(

> I agree that the message is very annoying and would be glad to be rid of
> it, especially as the only comment from the maintainers so far has been
> to just ignore it.
Well, I'd really like some feedback from the maintainer... because if no
one cares, I agree it should be removed.

> IMHO, If it is "ignoreable", then it is also "suppressable".
Seconded, unless someone is using it to try to fix the problem ?

Paul