Re: [2.6.31-rc4] ftdi_usb maps memory from stack...

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Tue Jul 28 2009 - 15:31:40 EST

On 07/27/2009 04:17 PM, Daniel J Blueman wrote:
With DMA debugging enabled, I see a warning when the FTDI USB-serial
driver loads [1] using a non-DMAable address.

I can get a disassembly of some of the stack frames to identify the
exact call-sites etc, if that helps anyone?

Thanks,
Daniel

--- [1]

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic

usbserial: USB Serial Driver core

USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device

ftdi_sio 5-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected

usb 5-1: Detected FT8U232AM

usb 5-1: Number of endpoints 2

usb 5-1: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64

usb 5-1: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64

usb 5-1: Setting MaxPacketSize 64

WARNING: at lib/dma-debug.c:856 check_for_stack+0x9a/0xc0()

Hardware name: OEM

uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: DMA-API: device driver maps memory from stack
[addr=ffff88007f89b946]

Looks like some of the functions in ftdi_sio.c call usb_control_msg with a stack buffer and some use a kmalloc buffer. They should likely all be using a kmalloc buffer.