Re: [wireless] rt2870sta BUGs on shutdown, 2.6.30.2->git.today+git.wireless.today

From: Ivo van Doorn
Date: Thu Jul 30 2009 - 12:52:39 EST

I planned, and actually did write, a lengthy reply for this thread, when I completed the reply
I reconsidred and opted for this shorter reply. Every 2 or 3 months this discussion is started
again and I am f***ing tired of it, so excuse me but I am not going to throw myself into
this completely pointless discussion

What you are suggesting in your mail is something the rt2x00 project did for 5 years, we stopped
with that 4 months ago because it wasn't working out. Apparently you have more experience in this
matter so I hope you will find a way to make that solution work out.

If you want to maintain the legacy drivers then do it, start a new project and start maintaining
the code. I can forward you all the users with complains about the "good enough" drivers. It is
good to know that you apparently have the resources to maintain the old drivers.
Most people who are helping with the rt2800pci/usb drivers lack the required time to boost the driver
into such a state it can be widely adopted. But every time it amazes me that the people who want
to develop and have the time to do it, all want to jump on the old Ralink code... Apparently there
is some appeal to maintaining crap rather then helping to ship out proper drivers to the users.

But I'll shut up now, as I said this discussion is held every few months, so perhaps that when
the discussion is started again in a couple of months I am more interested in a lengthy reply.

Ivo