Re: [ANNOUNCE] Reiserfs/kill-bkl tree v2

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 01:04:47 EST

> Well, dont waste too much time on it (beyond the due diligence
> level) - Andi forgot that the right way to stress-test patches is to
> get through the review process and then through the integration
> trees which have far more test exposure than any single contributor
> can test.
>
> Patch submitters cannot possibly test every crazy possibility that
> is out there - nor should they: it just doesnt scale. What we expect
> people to do is to write clean patches, to test the bits on their
> own boxes and submit them to lkml and address specific review
> feedback.

I respectfully disagree in this case. For patches that touch, say,
something hardware dependent where the patch submitter doesn't have all
the variations on the hardware, yes, I agree, scale the testing by
running the code on many machines. But for the code in question, where
some very fundamental and complex changes are being made to filesystem
locking, I don't think that testing really scales -- after all, if there
is some race then it's quite likely that testers will just see some rare
filesystem corruption, which could easily waste weeks of debugging
before the BKL/reiserfs patches were even implicated.

- R.