Re: [RFC 0/2] new kfifo API

From: Mike Christie
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 13:26:43 EST

On 08/03/2009 09:42 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
On Monday 03 August 2009, Stefani Seibold wrote:
This is a proposal of a new generic kernel FIFO implementation.

The current kernel fifo API is not very widely used, because it has to many
constrains. Only 13 files in the current 2.6.30 used it. FIFO's are
like list are a very basic thing and a kfifo API which handles the most use
case would save a lot of time and memory resources.

I think there are the following reasons why kfifo is not in use.

- There is a need of a spinlock despite you need it or not
- A fifo can only allocated dynamically
- There is no support for data records inside a fifo
- The FIFO size can only a power of two

For iscsi, the only thing we have not liked with the current code is having to have the fifo a power of 2. It has not been that big a deal though.