Re: MAINTAINERS: standardize James Bottomley's name

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 17:03:59 EST

On 08/03/2009 01:43 PM, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 13:32 -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
>> His recent patches and sign-offs have not used "E.J."
>>
>> This reduces the likelihood that get_maintainers.pl will
>> list his address twice.
>
> It is standard: I like my initials; which, per RFC requires the quotes
> because it's a mailing address.

It's not actually required by RFC 2822.

The relevant productions are:

name-addr = [display-name] angle-addr
display-name = phrase
phrase = 1*word / obs-phrase
obs-phrase = word *(word / "." / CFWS)

Now, obs- usually indicates an obsolete (deprecated
backwards-compatibility) production, but the text states:

Note: The "period" (or "full stop") character (".") in obs-phrase is
not a form that was allowed in earlier versions of this or any other
standard. Period (nor any other character from specials) was not
allowed in phrase because it introduced a parsing difficulty
distinguishing between phrases and portions of an addr-spec (see
section 4.4). It appears here because the period character is
currently used in many messages in the display-name portion of
addresses, especially for initials in names, and therefore must be
interpreted properly. In the future, period may appear in the
regular syntax of phrase.

-hpa