Re: Boot failure on x86_64 (OOPS set_cpu_sibling_map() )

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 11:01:12 EST

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 04:47:41PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Borislav Petkov <borislav.petkov@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Would you rebase just due to this commit?
> >
> > No, I wanted to keep the opportunity to be able to rebase the
> > whole series until the very last minute before the merge window,
> > should anything need to be changed...
>
> Note that's the wrong workflow. We dont rebase Git trees really just
> because 'something needs to be changed' - we make sure all commits
> make sense, we fix bugs and append new changes to the end. That
> results in a far better end result than a constant rebasing
> workflow. See various mails from Linus on lkml about this topic. (i
> have no handy URL for this now - maybe someone else has)

Yep, that I know and I agree with completely, I'm simply waiting in case
there are more comments on the subject (looka here, the last one was
from you :o)). Also, considering that some aspects to the design aren't
final, I'd like to be able to rebase. However, I'll make sure I switch
to incremental workflow after the majority of the issues are agreed
upon.

> > > No need for that, feel free to carry it until Andreas sends an
> > > updated version. Then i can put it into a separate .31-rc5 based
> > > topic that you can pull into the EDAC tree.
> >
> > ... and this is basically what I had in mind: After you pull them
> > in, I'll rebase my branch against yours for linux-next. I see
> > that Stephen pulls edac before -tip in linux-next so I'll ask him
> > nicely to reorder those. This approach makes most sense anyways
> > since edac relies on a bunch of x86 facilities (topology bits,
> > rd/wrmsr_on_cpus, mcheck etc) and it is only natural that it goes
> > second in linux-next, right?
> >
> > Then the pull requests will go out in the same order during the
> > merge window and we should be fine.
>
> ok. I'll wait for Andreas's next version of the patch. Feel free to
> carry the interim version - just please dont crash the x86 bootup ;-)

/me going to kick him to work faster :).

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Operating | Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
System | Karl-Hammerschmidt-Str. 34, 85609 Dornach b. München, Germany
Research | Geschäftsführer: Thomas M. McCoy, Giuliano Meroni
Center | Sitz: Dornach, Gemeinde Aschheim, Landkreis München
(OSRC) | Registergericht München, HRB Nr. 43632