Re: fanotify - overall design before I start sending patches

From: Tvrtko Ursulin
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 12:39:49 EST

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 17:27:48 Eric Paris wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 17:09 +0100, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:
> > Hi Eric, all,
> >
> > On Friday 24 July 2009 21:13:49 Eric Paris wrote:
> > > If a FAN_ACCESS_PERM or FAN_OPEN_PERM event is received the listener
> > > must send a response before the 5 second timeout. If no response is
> > > sent before the 5 second timeout the original operation is allowed. If
> > > this happens too many times (10 in a row) the fanotify group is evicted
> > > from the kernel and will not get any new events. Sending a response is
> >
> > Would it make more sense to deny on timeouts and then evict? I am
> > thinking it would be more secure with no significant drawbacks. Also for
> > usages like HSM allowing it without data being in place might present
> > wrong content to the user.
>
> I'd be willing to go that route as long as noone else complains.

Ok, keep it open then for a while and I guess it is trivial to change this bit
of behaviour.

> > > The only other current interface is the ability to ignore events by
> > > superblock magic number. This makes it easy to ignore all events
> > > in /proc which can be difficult to accomplish firing FANOTIFY_SET_MARK
> > > with ignored_masks over and over as processes are created and
> > > destroyed.
> >
> > Just to double-check, that would also work for any other filesystem and
> > is controllable from userspace?
>
> Yes you set these in userspace using setsockopt(). It is based on
> superblock magic number as found in linux/magic.h. So one could
> exclude, procfs, sysfs, selinuxfs, etc. It does not provide a way to
> say 'this ext3 filesystem but not that ext3 filesystem' as ext3 has a
> single magic number.

This is probably good enough. Subtree and mount point exclusions would be even
better (in addition to superblock magic exclusions - I would not get rid of
them) but I have no idea how realistic this requirement is, or whether it is
possible to do it more efficiently in kernel space at all.

Tvrtko