Re: iwlwifi (4965) regression since 2.6.30

From: Lukas Hejtmanek
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 18:56:43 EST

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 03:49:43PM -0700, reinette chatre wrote:
> This is strange. My previous test results were based on recent
> wireless-testing. I now retested with a fresh pull from Linus's repo
> (2.6.31-rc5) and I see the same behavior with Fn+F5 not changing the
> wifi radio status at all. I do not know why we would see different
> behavior considering we have the same platform and running the same
> kernel. I found one related option in the BIOS, but with that I was only
> able to have wireless HW rfkill permanently enabled.
>
> I am not sure about the original problem though. In your original report
> you mention that you are unable to use wireless due to rfkill. From your
> email it seems that you are able to toggle wifi rfkill state using the
> Fn+F5 keys, so with that disabling rfkill you should be able to use your
> wireless. Can you still not use wireless even when rfkill reports
> "RFKILL event: idx 6 type 1 op X soft 0 hard 0" ?

No.

I can use wifi if rfkill reports "RFKILL event: idx 6 type 1 op X soft 0 hard
0".

My problem is, that since 2.6.31-rcX Fn+F5 toggles soft rfkill state. It did
not happen in 2.6.30 and earlier. In that case, Fn+F5 triggered an acpi event
(key press). Now, it triggers acpi eveny *and* touches soft rfkill of WIFI.
I like the previous behavior, i.e., don't touch anything, just report acpi
event.

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek