Re: New MMC maintainer needed

From: David Brownell
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 20:29:18 EST

On Friday 31 July 2009, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> Restoring back the system state from MMC after a successful hibernation
> http://marc.info/?t=124818534700003&r=1&w=2
>
> I don't agree with this approach. The point of the workqueue is so that
> the kernel can do things in parallel, so this patch is a step back. The
> problem is really with how the kernel doesn't properly cope with
> asynchronous disk scanning during bootup. The root_delay parameter was
> added for this for the "normal" case, but it seems more work is needed.

Doesn't handing of resumes needs more attention overall?

Example, root on eMMC (e.g. a 32-MByte non-removable chip) wouldn't
resume at all well the last time I checked ... mounted file systems
(not just root) made trouble. Hardware that reliably reports card
insert/remove was rude in the same ways.

- Dave