Re: [Patch 0/7] Implement crashkernel=auto

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Wed Aug 05 2009 - 09:34:15 EST

Amerigo Wang <amwang@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> This series of patch implements automatically reserved memory for crashkernel,
> by introducing a new boot option "crashkernel=auto". This idea is from Neil.
>
> In case of breaking user-space applications, it modifies this boot option after
> it decides how much memory should be reserved.
>
> On different arch, the threshold and reserved memory size is different. Please
> refer patch 7/7 which contains an update for the documentation.
>
> Note: This patchset was only tested on x86_64 with differernt memory sizes.

This seems like a silly hard code. Especially for a feature distros don't
care enough about to implement a working initrd for.

Has anyone bothered to justify those large amounts of memory?
Where does the 128M go?

Please pardon me for being a cynic but I don't see the command line option
being the bottleneck for real users to make this work.

Eric