Re: [Patch 1/7] x86: add CONFIG_KEXEC_AUTO_RESERVE

From: Amerigo Wang
Date: Wed Aug 05 2009 - 21:53:49 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
Amerigo Wang <amwang@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Introduce a new config option KEXEC_AUTO_RESERVE for x86.

The description of the feature belongs in the changelog.

I like the basic idea, but:

+config KEXEC_AUTO_RESERVE
+ bool "automatically reserve memory for kexec kernel"
+ depends on KEXEC
+ default y
+ ---help---
+ Automatically reserve memory for a kexec kernel, so that you don't
+ need to specify numbers for the "crashkernel=X@Y" boot option,
+ instead you can use "crashkernel=auto".
+ On x86, 128M is reserved.

The obvious problem is the hardcoded 128MB (and 128MB is very large
for a crash kernel anyways)

I think that size has to be hardcoded, or we can make it a bit changeable, according to the page size.... e.g. on PPC and IA64, page size can be 16K or more, but x86's page size is always 4K I think.

Hmm, yes, I choose such a large size in order to be safe, but since you feel this is too large, how about 64M on x86? (On x86_64 Fedora and RHEL, the size of a kernel binary is about 2M~3M.)
More useful would seem a crashkernel=size@auto
We already have this, just use "crashkernel=size@0". :)

Thanks.