Re: [Patch 0/7] Implement crashkernel=auto

From: Amerigo Wang
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 02:37:35 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
Amerigo Wang <amwang@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
Amerigo Wang <amwang@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

No the crashdump mechanism is useless because user space is already
broken and unusable.
Again, why broken?
To get a stock stat drive by hand I had to list about 5 kernel modules
in the right magic order in /etc/kdump.conf

Neither mount by label or mount by uuid when specified in /etc/kdump.conf
I had to hack mkdumprd to get an initrd that even finds the proper disk
to mount.
You are saying that there is some difficulty to make a initrd for kdump, but I
am sorry that I can't see any relations between this and my patch. What is your
point here?

You are trying to make it easier for end users.

I am saying the problem is in user space.

I am saying also that the kernel doesn't have a clue what you are
going to load with kexec on panic to handle panics. Maybe it is a
custom stand alone binary that only needs 5K. So the kernel doesn't
have a clue what the right size to reserve.

So what? If you have 8G memory, would you mind 128M-5K memory to be wasted?

The kernel doesn't have to reserve the exact amount of memory that a kexec kernel will use, it just finds a big enough size for all cases which already assumes the physical memory is large enough.
I think if what you were proposing was part of some coherent story for
a complete implementation I would consider it more. Instead this just
appears to be a reaction to how frustrating the user space
implementation is, and fixing things in the kernel instead of in user
space.

Yes, exactly, in fact I am doing another part which will allow us to take back of the reserved memory at run-time.