Re: ath5k - strange regulatory domain change

From: Chris Clayton
Date: Fri Aug 07 2009 - 09:02:21 EST

Thanks Frans,

2009/8/7 Frans Pop <elendil@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Chris Clayton wrote:
>> Because of some problems with my Belkin Wireless G card  (model
>> F5D7010) and the rt61pci driver, I've started to use a "no-name" card
>> that is supported by the ath5k driver.
>>
>> A problem is that I have come across is that for some reason the CN
>> regulatory domain is being set automatically. This doesn't happen with
>> the Belkin (rt61) card. I have the following line in
>> /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf to set the regulatory domain to GB:
>>
>> options cfg80211 ieee80211_regdom=GB
>
> This issue has already been discussed extensively (after I reported it).
> Please see the following thread: http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/8/421. It
> contains a lot of information from the wireless maintainers.

To sum this up then (as I understand things):

1. I am the system administrator (root);
2. I am using a valid (albeit deprecated from 2.6.31) method to tell
the wireless infrastructure that I want the regulatory domain set to
GB;
3. GB is a valid code; and
4. the wireless infrastructure sets the regulatory domain to CN.
5. in 2.6.30, the wireless infrastructure does what I (the root user)
tell it to do.

That's a regression in my book. Oh well! I do have the iw and crda
applications installed, so I've taken that route of setting the
regulatory domain to GB.

Interestingly, if I make no attempt to set the regulatory domain at
all, it get sets to World and CN never comes into it. It's only if I
try to set it to GB via the module parameter that it gets set to CN.
To me, that seems broken.

Thanks again,

Chris

--
No, Sir; there is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which
so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern or inn - Doctor Samuel