Re: HTC Dream for staging: add support for input on GPIO pins

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 04:51:14 EST

On Mon 2009-08-10 13:01:28, Trilok Soni wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>

> >> I don't see any importance of gpio_matrix.c when we already have
> >> generic gpio matrix driver mainlined. I would suggest to remove those
> >> bits from this patch. I have added linux-input ML.
> >
> > Well, I'm trying for staging merge at this point. Reasons why
> > gpio_matrix is there are:
> >
> > 1) it is non-trivial to remove
> >
> > 2) it has some features mainline lacks
> >
> > 3) HTC Dream actually works with it
> >
> > (and 4) I'd like to submit code as Arve wrote it, then transform/clean
> > it up in staging).
> >
> > Of course, relevant features will need to be extracted from
> > gpio_matrix and merged at the right places, and that needs to happen
> > before move from staging/, but I'd like to have working keyboard in
> > the meantime.
>
> gpio_matrix in mainline should work with HTC G1 with few proper
> platform data and input name eventhough ghost key clearance code is
> not yet in mainline driver.

I actually tried to write that platform hooks, but unfortunately I'm
quite far from being able to test them.

> I know you want HTC dream to work through staging but I would prefer
> that such drivers should be discussed and reviewed on
> linux-input/linux-kernel ML and not just dumped in staging.

The stuff I'm submitting is not ready for proper review. It will take
a while before it is good enough. But I believe it has place in
staging: it will allow me to get Dream into usable state, and will
allow others to help with cleanups.

Of course, it will get proper review before moving to drivers/input.
Pavel