Re: kmemleak: Protect the seq start/next/stop sequence byrcu_read_lock()

From: Catalin Marinas
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 07:53:39 EST

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 09:32 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I tried similar config and with the mainline kernel I get some
> > lockups (several seconds) with CONFIG_PREEMPT disabled on ARM
> > machines or x86 during a scanning episode but it eventually
> > completes the scanning. With the kmemleak patches for the next
> > merging window, I don't get any lockups as it has more
> > cond_resched() calls.
>
> How big are those patches? Kmemleak is new in .31 so if it fixes a
> real problem it might still be acceptable.

My patches for -next were posted here -
http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/24/166 - but the relevant ones are pretty
small (review/ack is welcomed):

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/24/176 - allow rescheduling during object
scanning
http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/24/173 - inform kmemleak about kernel stack
allocation (needs ack by the x86 people)
http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/24/172 - always scan the task stacks

--
Catalin