Re: drivers/pci/quirks.c: irq_reroute_variant is dead code?

From: Stefan Assmann
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 09:50:16 EST

On 11.08.2009 14:36, Olaf Dabrunz wrote:
On 11-Aug-09, Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Stefan Assmann<sassmann@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10.08.2009 18:32, Jesse Barnes wrote:
[Corrected Stefan's address.]
Thanks Jesse! CCing Olaf as well.

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 16:45:20 +0200
Ingo Molnar<mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

* Jesse Barnes<jbarnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:50:08 -0700
Jeremy Fitzhardinge<jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

quirk_reroute_to_boot_interrupts_intel() goes to some effort to
scan for a bunch of Intel devices and set
dev->irq_reroute_variant = INTEL_IRQ_REROUTE_VARIANT. However,
as far as I can see that's the only reference to
dev->irq_reroute_variant and INTEL_IRQ_REROUTE_VARIANT, so the
whole thing appears to have no effect.

Is it all dead code? Is there something else which should be
there missing?
Hm my quick look couldn't find a user either. The initial patch
to add that stuff (e1d3a90846b40ad3160bf4b648d36c6badad39ac) had
an ACPI component, but it looks like that may have vanished
somehow (maybe some of the IOAPIC code got shuffled around and
this bit was missed?).

Stefan or Ingo?
I dont remember ioapic interactions. Stefan?

Ingo

Actually the ACPI part of the commit got trashed by some major
ACPI rewrite. [...]
Yeah, i remember some larger reject resolved by Len i think, about
two cycles ago, in this area. So we probably lost those bits there -
i've Cc:-ed Len.

There's no urgency in terms of v2.6.31 (since we never really
exposed this new functionality in a new release), but it would be
nice to get to the bottom of this.

Yep, that would be nice.

I was made aware of that problem early this year when the ACPI code
change was made. Since then I heard that someone already wrote some
patch for the boot IRQ quirks. But obviously that referred to some other
part of the quirk. Stefan?

That's a whole different story (other chipset). ;-)

As I am currently unemployed, demotivated and trying to get my work on
fctrace going again (as well as to get the rest of my life in order),
it seems I have no time to fix this. I would love to, really. We need to
get these quirks in, and I would like to discuss how to do this The Right
Way with the rewritten ACPI code (and the existing MP code).

Well, best of luck!

Stefan
--
Stefan Assmann | Red Hat GmbH
Software Engineer | Otto-Hahn-Strasse 20, 85609 Dornach
sassmann at redhat.com | Michael Cunningham, Charles Cachera