Re: [tip:perfcounters/urgent] perf_counter, x86: Fix/improve apicfallback

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 12:53:20 EST

* Johannes Stezenbach <js@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:34:21AM +0000, tip-bot for Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > Commit-ID: 83f19150242ee57730a4331b6ae9a9b90ccc718c
> > Gitweb: http://git.kernel.org/tip/83f19150242ee57730a4331b6ae9a9b90ccc718c
> > Author: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
> > AuthorDate: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:40:08 +0200
> > Committer: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
> > CommitDate: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:19:07 +0200
> >
> > perf_counter, x86: Fix/improve apic fallback
> >
> > Johannes Stezenbach reported that his Pentium-M based
> > laptop does not have the local APIC enabled by default,
> > and hence perfcounters do not get initialized.
> >
> > Add a fallback for this case: allow non-sampled counters
> > and return with an error on sampled counters. This allows
> > 'perf stat' to work out of box - and allows 'perf top'
> > and 'perf record' to fall back on a hrtimer based sampling
> > method.
> >
> > ( Passing 'lapic' on the boot line will allow hardware
> > sampling to occur - but if the APIC is disabled
> > permanently by the hardware then this fallback still
> > allows more systems to use perfcounters. )
> >
> > Also decouple perfcounter support from X86_LOCAL_APIC.
>
> Seems to work. From dmesg:
>
> Performance Counters:
> no APIC, boot with the "lapic" boot parameter to force-enable it.
> no hardware sampling interrupt available.
> p6 PMU driver.
> ... version: 0
> ... bit width: 32
> ... generic counters: 2
> ... value mask: 00000000ffffffff
> ... max period: 000000007fffffff
> ... fixed-purpose counters: 0
> ... counter mask: 0000000000000003
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.80GHz stepping 06
>
> However:
>
> oprofile: using timer interrupt.
>
> I tried "perf top", "perf stat -a sleep 1", "perf stat java foo",
> it all looks good to my untrained eye.

Ok, thanks for reporting it and for testing it!

The tools fall back to a hrtimer based sampling method - i.e. not
NMI based. You can still improve the quality of performance
instrumentation on your box by booting with 'lapic' - in that case
the APIC and an NMI is used by 'perf top' and 'perf record/report'.
(perf stat should be unaffected)

Ingo