Re: What happened to data=guarded?

From: Eric Sandeen
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 14:05:21 EST

Jan Kara wrote:
>> Frans Pop <elendil@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> Good to hear. I've so far stayed with data=ordered as I think I'd prefer
>>> data=guarded over data=writeback. I'll certainly give it a try when it's
>>> available.
>> Same here. data=writeback already cost me a few files after crashes here :/
> In this regard, data=guarded need not be better than data=writeback.
> We push out the data in guarded mode as late as in writeback mode
> (that's where the performance benefit comes from ;). The difference is
> that we increase i_size only after data are safely on disk so we cannot
> expose old data.
> So security-wise, guarded mode is as safe as ordered mode but in other
> aspects its more like data=writeback.

Yes, I think the people anxiously waiting for data=guarded may be sadly
surprised at their 0-length files.

For those who understand the data=writeback tradeoffs it'll be very
useful in terms of more consistent results (easily-detectable 0-size or
short files, vs. randomly corrupted data sprinkled around) but it's not
going to be "data=ordered, but faster!"

-Eric