Re: perf_counters issue with PERF_SAMPLE_GROUP

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 05:03:23 EST

* Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 23:08 +0200, stephane eranian wrote:
>
> > But aren't you going to change the cpu, pid target stuff we
> > discussed a couple of weeks ago anyway?
>
> Right, I'd like to, but Ingo doesn't. I haven't heard back from
> Paul on this.

Not sure we want to change it. Mixing PID and CPU into the same
space disallows the simultaneous application of both. I.e. right now
we allow 3 models:

- PID-ish
- CPU-ish
- PID and CPU [say measure CPU#2 component of an inherited workload.]

Also, i dont really see the use-cases for new targets. (i've seen a
few mentioned but none seemed valid) What new targets do people have
in mind?

Ingo