Re: Patch "page-allocator: preserve PFN ordering when __GFP_COLDis set" fails on my system

From: Arnaud Faucher
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 14:29:37 EST

I have a rather similar problem on a driver that I try to keep
up-to-date with recent kernel versions
(http://code.ximeta.com/trac-ndas/ticket/1110#comment:30). The NDAS
hardware is an ethernet-enabled disk controller on one chip, kind of a
cheap iSCSI.

In my case there is no oops: the symptoms are that the read blocks seem
to be swapped or full of garbage.

After investigation in the NDAS code, the bug triggers when the driver
tries to merge adjacent requests, before sending them to the controller.
I had to disable this merge in order to restore normal behavior, at the
expense of a reduced efficiency.

Mel's buffer overrun theory seems to apply in the NDAS driver case,
where the original requests adjacency test seems faulty.

May it also be the cause of the SD mounting crash ?