Re: [RFD] Kprobes/Kretprobes perf support

From: Masami Hiramatsu
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 17:24:33 EST

Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 21:13 +0200, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
>
>> Ingo, Peter do you have an idea on how we could do that?
>
> Wouldn't it be easiest to use ftrace to create dynamic tracepoints in
> the ftrace way such that they become available in
> debugfs://tracing/events/kprobes/*/ and then have them interfaced the
> same way as all other tracepoints?

Yes, almost same. One big difference is that they are sharing
same event-id(TRACE_KPROBE and TRACE_KRETPROBE).
But I can make each kprobe events to have different ids, if you need.

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America), Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@xxxxxxxxxx