Re: [RFC patch] init default dma_ops to prepare intel_iommu_init failure

From: Luming Yu
Date: Thu Aug 13 2009 - 03:38:04 EST

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM, FUJITA
Tomonori<fujita.tomonori@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:03:20 +0800
> Luming Yu <luming.yu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for another workaround, we should be working on deleting wrong
>> assumption of"iommu_deteced == iommu working", Not just workaround. My
>> patch could break something.. but it is just a start towards right
>> goal..
>
> As I explained, your patch doesn't go toward the right goal.

The goal is to decouple dma_ops init and iommu_detect.
In that sense, my patch is right.

> And if you want to fix this problem right now, my workaround patch is
> much better than yours; it doesn't waste 64MB.

My patch needs some fixes to get something back when
assigning intel_dma_ops to dma_ops, since we don't want resource
associated with old dma_ops get lost as you and David pointed out.
Please note just pursuing workaround will end up with more pain
than that being relieved