Re: implementing Futex

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Thu Aug 13 2009 - 13:28:29 EST

On Thursday 13 August 2009, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Thursday 13 August 2009, Michael Schnell wrote:
> > I am planning to implement a Futex on the upcoming MMU-enabled NIOS
> > architecture.
>
> Ah, I'm always interested in new architectures. Are you already using
> all the asm-generic header files that we have in 2.6.31? Please tell
> me if you find problems with those.

FWIW, I just had a look at git://sopc.et.ntust.edu.tw/git/linux-2.6.
Is that the one you are working on?

The code there is still based on 2.6.30, which does not yet have
all the new header file. When you (or someone else) do the port
to 2.6.31, please go through each header file and see if you can
change it to use the asm-generic version.

For most of the exported files, that will mean a user space ABI
change, so you need to rebuild your libc, but it will significantly
reduce the amount of (duplicate) code in the architecture tree.

Arnd <><