Re: [Patch 0/8] V3 Implement crashkernel=auto

From: Amerigo Wang
Date: Thu Aug 13 2009 - 22:59:39 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
Bernhard Walle <bernhard.walle@xxxxxx> writes:

* Amerigo Wang <amwang@xxxxxxxxxx> [2009-08-13 10:19]:
Sure.

But if we disable CONFIG_KEXEC_AUTO_RESERVE, that means
crashkernel=auto will be invalid, this is the same as it is now.
Ok, but since 'crashkernel=auto' is not used today, nobody has
'crashkernel=auto' in the bootloader configuration. So I don't see any
practial advantage of that config option.

Eric, what's your opinion on that, do we need a config option
CONFIG_KEXEC_AUTO_RESERVE or could we just implement that feature
unconditionally (if CONFIG_KEXEC is enabled, of course).

The only reason I can see the option going away would be
a dependency on CONFIG_HOTPLUG_MEM.

I am not sure if I understand you correctly, but it doesn't and won't depend on CONFIG_MEMORY_HOTPLUG.

Thanks.