Re: New fast(?)-boot results on ARM

From: Artem Bityutskiy
Date: Sat Aug 15 2009 - 02:21:44 EST

On 08/15/2009 12:35 AM, Zan Lynx wrote:
Linus Walleij wrote:
2009/8/14 Robert Schwebel <r.schwebel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 12:19:48PM -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:

That's factor 70 away from the 110 ms boot time Tim has talked about
some days ago (and he measured on an ARM cpu which had almost half
the speed of this one), and I'm wondering what we can do to improve
the boot time.
2.4s in uncompression? That seems like an obvious target for
improvement.
Indeed, we'll check that.

We got rid of uncompression on a flash-based system vastly improving
boot time. The reason is that compressed kernels are faster only when
the throughput to the persistent storage is lower than the decompression
throughput, and on typical embedded systems with DMA the throughput to
memory outperforms the CPU-based decompression.

I thought of another thing to check related to slow decompression. If
the kernel, bootloader or hardware is in charge of setting CPU power and
speed scaling, then you should check that it boots with the CPU set at
maximum speed instead of slowest.

zlib is slow on decompression, and lzo is much faster. So if you implement
lzo compression, you'll probably speed things up a little as well. I saw
some discussions about this on lkml. Having no compression at all may also
be a good thing to try.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (ÐÑÑÑÐ ÐÐÑÑÑÐÐÐ)