Re: HTLB mapping for drivers. Driver example

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Tue Aug 18 2009 - 04:30:30 EST

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:57:26PM +0100, Alexey Korolev wrote:
> Hi,
> This message contains driver example which mmaps huge pages to user level applications.
> The Init procedure does the the following:
> * Allocates several hugepages,
> * Creates hugetlbfs file on vfs mount. When we create file we specify VM_NORESERVE flag in order to prevent memory reservation
> by hugetlbfs as pages will be added by driver. (It is also possible to use pages reserved by hugetlbfs in this case we need ask to reservation)
> * Add allocated pages to page cache mapping of hugetlbfs file. So page_fault procedure can find and provide these pages to user level.

This seems a lot of burden to put on a device driver, particularly with
respect to the reservations.

> File operations of /dev/hpage_map do the following:
>
> In file open we associate mappings of /dev/xxx with the file on hugetlbfs (like it is done in ipc/shm.c)
> file->f_mapping = h_file->f_mapping;
>
> In get_unmapped_area we should tell about addressing constraints in case of huge pages by calling hugetlbfs procedures. (as in ipc/shm.c)
> return get_unmapped_area(h_file, addr, len, pgoff, flags);
>
> We need to let hugetlbfs do architecture specific operations with mapping in mmap call. This driver does not reserve any memory for private mappings
> so driver requests reservation from hugetlbfs. (Actually driver can do this as well but it will make it more complex)
>
> The exit procedure:
> * removes memory from page cache
> * deletes file on hugetlbfs vfs mount
> * free pages
>
> Application example is not shown here but it is very simple. It does the following: open file /dev/hpage_map, mmap a region, read/write memory, unmap file, close file.

For the use-model you have in mind, could you look at Eric Munson's patches
and determine if the target application would have been happy to call the
following please?

mmap(0, len, prot, MAP_ANONYMOUS|MAP_HUGETLB, 0, 0)

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center