Re: [RFC] memcg: move definitions to .h and inline some functions

From: Wu Fengguang
Date: Wed Aug 19 2009 - 21:34:28 EST

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:27:05PM +0800, Balbir Singh wrote:
> * KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2009-08-19 23:18:01]:
>
> > Wu Fengguang ?$B$5$s$O=q$-$^$7$?!'

> > > OK here it is. I have to move big chunks to make it compile, and it
> > > does reduced a dozen lines of code :)
> > >
> > > Is this big copy&paste acceptable? (memcg developers CCed).
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Fengguang
> >
> > I don't like this. plz add hooks to necessary places, at this stage.
> > This will be too big for inlined function, anyway.
> > plz move this after you find overhead is too big.

It shall not be a performance regression, since the text size is slightly
smaller with the patch:

text data bss dec hex filename
before 8732148 2771858 11048432 22552438 1581f76 vmlinux
after 8731972 2771858 11048432 22552262 1581ec6 vmlinux

> Me too.. I want to abstract the implementation within memcontrol.c to
> be honest (I am concerned that someone might include memcontrol.h and
> access its structure members, which scares me). Hiding it within
> memcontrol.c provides the right level of abstraction.

Yeah quite reasonable.

> Could you please explain your motivation for this change? I got cc'ed
> on to a few emails, is this for the patch that export nr_save_scanned
> approach?

Yes, KOSAKI proposed to inline the mem_cgroup_get_saved_scan() function
introduced in that patch, which requires moving the structs into .h

I'll submit the original (un-inlined) patch.

Thanks,
Fengguang