Re: [tip:tracing/urgent] tracing: Fix too large stack usage in do_one_initcall()

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Fri Aug 21 2009 - 14:33:37 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

I do wonder, though. Maybe we should never have that MAX_WORK limit, and instead limit the parallelism by actively trying to yield when there's too much work? That bootup sequence _does_ tend to have deep callchains (with all the crazy device register crud), and maybe we should actively see the async work code as not just a way to speed up boot, but also as a way to avoid deep callchains.

makes sense; the MAX_WORK was more a sanity check to kill out of hand recursion
than anything else...