Re: Starting a grad project that may change kernel VFS. Early researchRe: Starting a grad project that may change kernel VFS. Early research

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Wed Aug 26 2009 - 08:19:31 EST

Jeff Shanab wrote:
> Rik van Riel wrote:
>> Hard links have been done like this in pretty much every
>> Unix filesystem since the 1970's.
[...]
> There is no real way to handle this becasue the two files look the same
> to the filesystem.

See above; it has been state of the art since the 70's. With hardlinks
or symlinks, a graph which represents the FS happens to contain loops.
No rocket science involved.

[...]
> How would I display this information usefully to the user.

Certain file managers display the overall size and the size on disk.
The latter differs from the former due to
- on-disk format overhead,
- on-disk compression,
- hardlinks and symlinks.
If the user copies the directory to another filesystem, the size on disk
will generally change.
--
Stefan Richter