Re: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation ispossible

From: david
Date: Wed Aug 26 2009 - 09:44:39 EST

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Pavel Machek wrote:

The metadata is just a way to get to my data, while the data
is actually important.

Personally, I care about metadata consistency, and ext3 documentation
suggests that journal protects its integrity. Except that it does not
on broken storage devices, and you still need to run fsck there.

as the ext3 authors have stated many times over the years, you still need
to run fsck periodicly anyway.

Where is that documented?

linux-kernel mailing list archives.

David Lang

I very much agree with that, but when suse10
switched periodic fsck off, I could not find any docs to show that it
is bad idea.
Pavel