Re: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation ispossible

From: Eric Sandeen
Date: Thu Aug 27 2009 - 02:58:46 EST

Theodore Tso wrote:
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 06:43:24AM -0700, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
as the ext3 authors have stated many times over the years, you still need
to run fsck periodicly anyway.
Where is that documented?
linux-kernel mailing list archives.

Probably from some 6-8 years ago, in e-mail postings that I made. My
argument has always been that PC-class hardware is crap, and it's a
Really Good Idea to periodically check the metadata because corruption
there can end up causing massive data loss. The main problem is that
doing it at reboot time really hurt system availability, and "after 20
reboots (plus or minus)" resulted in fsck checks at wildly varying
intervals depending on how often people reboot.

Aside ... can we default mkfs.ext3 to not set a mandatory fsck interval then? :)

-Eric

What I've been recommending for some time is that people use LVM, and
run fsck on a snapshot every week or two, at some convenient time when
the system load is at a minimum. There is an e2croncheck script in
the e2fsprogs sources, in the contrib directory; it's short enough
that I'll attach here here.

Is it *necessary*? In a world where hardware is perfect, no. In a
world where people don't bother buying ECC memory because it's 10%
more expensive, and PC builders use the cheapest possible parts --- I
think it's a really good idea.

- Ted