Re: adding proper O_SYNC/O_DSYNC, was Re: O_DIRECT and barriers

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Fri Aug 28 2009 - 12:17:53 EST

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 09:06:35AM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> On 08/28/2009 08:46 AM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>> - given that our current O_SYNC really is and always has been actuall
>> Posix O_DSYNC
>
> If this is true, then this proposal would work, yes.

I'll put it on my todo list. While reading through the Posix specs
I came up with some questions that you might be able to answer:

- O_RSYNC basically means we need to commit atime updates before a
read returns, right? It would be easy to implement
it in a slightly suboptimal fashion, but is there any point?