Re: kernel page table mapping for >1GB <3 GB for x86 arch without PAE

From: joe Shmoe
Date: Fri Aug 28 2009 - 15:44:32 EST

No I am not talking about embedded systems. It is just an example.
My question is what is preventing the kernel from setting up the page tables so that entire RAM can be mapped upto 4 GB.

page tables have to be setup for every process anyway with first 768 PDE entries being unique and remaining 256 entries being same for all the processes.