Re: New ark3116 driver - testers needed

From: Ondrej Zary
Date: Sat Aug 29 2009 - 17:03:00 EST

On Sunday 23 August 2009 14:46:16 Bart Hartgers wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I managed to write an improved ark3116 driver after I figured out that
> it is just an 16450 UART with some USB glue logic.
>
> Compared to the old ark3116 driver it offers the following improvements:
> - cts/rts handshake support
> - break signalling
> - line error detection
>
> Since it is a big step from the previous driver, it made little sense
> to modify that one, so I created new driver, named ark316new. Also
> this means that both could coexist if the new one doesn't work for
> someone.
>
> I have no datasheet, so the driver is entirely based on reverse
> engineering, and some testing by others would be a good idea.
>
> I also tried to include the IrDA fixes for the old ark3116.c driver
> that were posted on this list recently, but I could not test if
> these work, since I don't have the proper hardware.
>
> Because of this, I would appreciate reports of both success and
> failure in using this driver.

Tested the driver today with that Gembird UIR-22.

It did not compile neither in 2.6.30.1 nor in 2.6.31-rc8 with the following
error:

ark3116new.c:790: error: unknown field shutdown specified in initializer
ark3116new/ark3116new.c:790: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer
type

Commenting that line produced a module that worked:
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 1-1: config 0 descriptor??
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
USB Serial support registered for ARK3116 RS232/IrDA
ark3116new 1-1:0.0: ARK3116 RS232/IrDA converter detected
usb 1-1: ark3116new using IrDA mode
usb 1-1: ARK3116 RS232/IrDA converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usbcore: registered new interface driver ark3116new
ark3116new:v0.1:USB ARK3116 serial/IrDA driver
usb 1-1: ark3116new don't know how to do software flow control
NET: Registered protocol family 23

Ran "irattach /dev/ttyUSB0 -s" and then "obexftp -i -l" to list files on Nokia
6230i. It worked fine and file transfer too. So the IrDA mode works.

When I unplugged the device, irattach remained running and some error message
was written to console every few seconds (sorry, I haven't recorded it).
Killing irattach then resulted in oops. But this might be expected as the
shutdown function was commented out.

I think that this driver should replace current ark3116 driver. Having two
drivers for the same hardware is a bad thing.

--
Ondrej Zary