Re: How to efficiently handle DMA and cache on ARMv7 ? (was "Isget_user_pages() enough to prevent pages from being swapped out ?")

From: Imre Deak
Date: Wed Sep 02 2009 - 11:15:20 EST

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 03:43:48PM +0200, ext Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 September 2009 15:28:24 Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 08:53:29AM -0400, Steven Walter wrote:
> > > On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Russell King - ARM
> > > Linux<linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Would that work on a processor with VIVT caches? It seems not. In
> > > particular, dma_map_page uses page_address to get a virtual address to
> > > pass to map_single(). map_single() in turn uses this address to
> > > perform cache maintenance. Since page_address() returns the kernel
> > > virtual address, I don't see how any cache-lines for the userspace
> > > virtual address would get invalidated (for the DMA_FROM_DEVICE case).
> >
> > You are correct.
> >
> > > If that's true, then what is the correct way to allow DMA to/from a
> > > userspace buffer with a VIVT cache? If not true, what am I missing?
> >
> > I don't think you read what I said (but I've also forgotten what I did
> > say).
> >
> > To put it simply, the kernel does not support DMA direct from userspace
> > pages. Solutions which have been proposed in the past only work with a
> > sub-set of conditions (such as the one above only works with VIPT
> > caches.)
>
> I might be missing something obvious, but I fail to see how VIVT caches could
> work at all with multiple mappings. If a kernel-allocated buffer is DMA'ed to,
> we certainly want to invalidate all cache lines that store buffer data. As the
> cache doesn't care about physical addresses we thus need to invalidate all
> virtual mappings for the buffer. If the buffer is mmap'ed in userspace I don't
> see how that would be done.

To my understanding buffers returned by dma_alloc_*, kmalloc, vmalloc
are ok:

The cache lines for direct mapping are flushed in dma_alloc_* and
vmalloc. After this you are not supposed to access the buffers
through the direct mapping until you're done with the DMA.

For kmalloc you use the direct mapping in the first place, so the
flush in dma_map_* will be enough.

For user mappings I think you'd have to do an additional flush for
the direct mapping, while the user mapping is flushed in dma_map_*.

--Imre