HR timers prevent an itimer from generating EINTR?

From: Mike Heffner
Date: Fri Sep 04 2009 - 17:34:35 EST

Mixing HR timers with itimers occasionally hides an EINTR from a blocking syscall.

In my test program I have a High Resolution timer firing every one second (with SA_RESTART) and I set an itimer (without SA_RESTART) to fire after three seconds. I then execute a blocking system call (flock in this case) and expect the three second itimer to interrupt the system call with EINTR. However, I frequently notice that the itimer will fire but it will not interrupt the blocking system call. There appears to be a race between the HR timer firing and the itimer firing. If I offset the HR timer frequency by a half second, the itimer always interrupts the system call.

Kernel version:

These kernels both demonstrate the condition:

2.6.29.6-217.2.16.fc11.x86_64
and
2.6.30.5-43.fc11.x86_64

I do not see this condition on:

2.6.18-53.el5

Test program:

The following program illustrates this condition:

http://github.com/mheffner/scripts/commits/master/hrtimer_vs_itimer.c

Is this behavior expected?

Cheers,

Mike