Re: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Date: Tue Sep 08 2009 - 18:00:57 EST

On 09/08/2009 02:32 PM, Juergen Beisert wrote:
On Dienstag, 8. September 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 09/08/2009 11:38 AM, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 10:19:06 +0300

Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
latencytop has this to say:

http://foss.math.aegean.gr/~realnc/pics/latop1.png

Though I don't really understand what this tool is trying to tell me,
I hope someone does.

despite the untranslated content, it is clear that you have scheduler
delays (either due to scheduler bugs or cpu contention) of upto 68
msecs... Second in line is your binary AMD graphics driver that is
chewing up 14% of your total latency...

I've now used a correctly installed and up-to-date version of latencytop
and repeated the test. Also, I got rid of AMD's binary blob and used
kernel DRM drivers for my graphics card to throw fglrx out of the
equation (which btw didn't help; the exact same problems occur).

Here the result:

http://foss.math.aegean.gr/~realnc/pics/latop2.png

Again: this is on an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.

Just an idea: Maybe some system management code hits you?

I'm not sure what is meant with "system management code."