Re: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Date: Wed Sep 09 2009 - 05:40:34 EST

On 09/09/2009 12:17 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 12:05 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

Thank you for mentioning min_granularity. After:

echo 10000000> /proc/sys/kernel/sched_latency_ns
echo 2000000> /proc/sys/kernel/sched_min_granularity_ns

You might also want to do:

echo 2000000> /proc/sys/kernel/sched_wakeup_granularity_ns

That affects when a newly woken task will preempt an already running
task.

Lowering wakeup_granularity seems to make things worse in an interesting way:

With low wakeup_granularity, the video itself will start skipping if I move the window around. However, the window manager's effect of moving a window around is smooth.

With high wakeup_granularity, the video itself will not skip while moving the window around. But this time, the window manager's effect of the window move is skippy.

(I should point out that only with the BFS-patched kernel can I have a smooth video *and* a smooth window-moving effect at the same time.) Mainline seems to prioritize one of the two according to whether wakeup_granularity is raised or lowered. However, I have not tested Mike's patch yet (but will do so ASAP.)