Re: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Wed Sep 09 2009 - 07:33:25 EST

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 20:44 +0930, David Newall wrote:
> Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> >> That looks nice, but...
> >>
> >> I kind of miss the split screen feature where latencytop would show both
> >> the overall figures + the ones for the currently most affected task.
> >> Downside of that last was that I never managed to keep the display on a
> >> specific task.
> >>

> > Any idea of how to present it ? I'm happy to spend 5mn improving the
> > GUI :-)
>
> Use a second window.

I'm not too fan of cluttering the screen with windows... I suppose I
could have a separate pane for the "global" view but I haven't found a
way to lay it out in a way that doesn't suck :-) I could have done a 3rd
colums on the right with the overall view but it felt like using too
much screen real estate.

I'll experiment a bit, maybe 2 windows is indeed the solution. But you
get into the problem of what to do if only one of them is closed ? Do I
add a menu bar on each of them to re-open the "other" one if closed ?
etc...

Don't get me wrong, I have a shitload of experience doing GUIs (back in
the old days when I was hacking on MacOS), though I'm relatively new to
GTK. But GUI design is rather hard in general :-)

Ben.