Re: Regression DRM/i915/KMS: VGA connector unusable after 2.6.31-rc8-git1,DVI connector ok

From: Knut Petersen
Date: Wed Sep 09 2009 - 17:35:59 EST

Linus Torvalds schrieb:
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Knut Petersen wrote:
>
>> As the old X does not work with the new kernel, I cannot decide if the
>> kernel or X is to blame.
>>

> Hmm. Doesn't old X work if you disable KMS? Either with "i915.modeset=0"
> or by just compiling it out?

It does work somehow, but very slow and jerky as long as DRI is
enabled in the kernel.

It´s not a a problem related to KMS. Allocation of tiled buffers fails with
that old X, although it worked with 2.6.22.6, that results in a massive
performance drop (more than 70 percent).

Jerky drawing can only be avoided if DRI is disabled in the kernel.

cu,
Knut