Re: [rfc] lru_add_drain_all() vs isolation

From: Minchan Kim
Date: Wed Sep 09 2009 - 21:01:31 EST

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 08:58:20 +0900 (JST)
KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Christoph, I'd like to discuss a bit related (and almost unrelated) thing.
> > > I think page migration don't need lru_add_drain_all() as synchronous, because
> > > page migration have 10 times retry.
> > >
> > > Then asynchronous lru_add_drain_all() cause
> > >
> > > Â- if system isn't under heavy pressure, retry succussfull.
> > > Â- if system is under heavy pressure or RT-thread work busy busy loop, retry failure.
> > >
> > > I don't think this is problematic bahavior. Also, mlock can use asynchrounous lru drain.
> >
> > I think, more exactly, we don't have to drain lru pages for mlocking.
> > Mlocked pages will go into unevictable lru due to
> > try_to_unmap when shrink of lru happens.
>
> Right.
>
> > How about removing draining in case of mlock?
>
> Umm, I don't like this. because perfectly no drain often make strange test result.
> I mean /proc/meminfo::Mlock might be displayed unexpected value. it is not leak. it's only lazy cull.
> but many tester and administrator wiill think it's bug... ;)

I agree. I have no objection to your approach. :)

> Practically, lru_add_drain_all() is nearly zero cost. because mlock's page fault is very
> costly operation. it hide drain cost. now, we only want to treat corner case issue.
> I don't hope dramatic change.

Another problem is as follow.

Although some CPUs don't have any thing to do, we do it.
HPC guys don't want to consume CPU cycle as Christoph pointed out.
I liked Peter's idea with regard to this.
My approach can solve it, too.
But I agree it would be dramatic change.

--
Kind regards,
Minchan Kim